Thursday, November 8, 2012

Clomid... the HAPPY drug.

Just a little info on Clomid and what it does as I am starting my 5 day reg today.

Clomid/Clomiphene (kloe' mi feen)
Clomiphene is used to induce ovulation (egg production) in women who do not produce ova (eggs) but wish to become pregnant (infertility). Clomiphene is in a class of medications called ovulatory stimulants. It works similarly to estrogen, a female hormone that causes eggs to develop in the ovaries and be released.

More Follicle development = More eggs = better chance of conceiving

The risk of multiples is higher with Clomid, and while most of that risk is for twins (7-9%), the risks of triplets (1 in 200 pregnancies), quads (1 in 300), and quintuplets (1 in 800) are also increased.

Rarely, people will have more serious side effects but the most common is hot flashes and night sweats. Other common complaints are bloating, mood swings and headaches. Some people find the side effects are easier to tolerate if they take Clomid at night. Some people don’t notice any side effects from the Clomid.

I just want to state for the record that taking this medication at night did nothing for the nasty side affects I have on this medication. This is my third cycle taking this medication and I have to be honest with you here it has NOT made me a better person. In fact it has made me, angry, unhappy, sad, miserable, tired, and that is just the fun part! Sigh.. my poor husband he is so patient with me and my crazy up/down emotions

The things you do for a baby.. as hard as this all is it WILL be worth it someday I just know it. :)

BRING IT ON CLOMID... Please don't kick my butt this cycle I beg of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment